Time is running an informative article on what exactly is in a Navy SEAL survival kit. The requirements are strict, and even the case itself should be:
– Capable of limited cooking without effecting the container finish (i.e. paint bubbling)
– Capable of being used as a limited digging implement without affecting its ability to house contents (simultaneous function of digging and housing not required).
– Shall have a weather resistant gasket able to keep out water during minor water immersion (i.e. river crossings, swimming)
– Shall have a fastening system that is reuseable and secure to prevent accidental openings
– Top surface of kit must have permanently affixed a 2” x 3” piece of loop fastener (i.e. soft side of velcro)
– Ruggedized to take heavy abuse while carried without damage to inner contents
– Case shall securely hold all items below without rattling or other noises.
Read more at Time.